Cole David was born at 8:19am on Wednesday January 16, 2013. He entered the world in a big way with a big audience. I think there were more then 10 doctors and nurses in the operating room for his delivery. More than double what Max had. All seemed well after the delivery and he was doing great for about an hour and a half. When Momma got back to her room from recovery, I brought Cole in to her. She held him just a few minutes and then attempted to feed him when the nurses noticed some struggle breathing. The took him to the nursery to do some tests and hooked up a UV in his belly button and put a c-pap on him for oxygen assistance, took blood samples, and did x-rays. His breathing was very rapid and shallow.
After about an hour or so they came in and told us he needed to be flown to the NICU in Sioux Falls. The NICU flight crew from Sioux Falls arrived around noon and took over with amazing love and care for Cole. They got him stabilized and prepped for the flight and then wheeled him in to say good bye to Momma. A short ambulance ride from the OC hospital to the OC airport and we were wheels up by 1:30 and on the ground in Sioux Falls about 20 minutes later. An ambulance ride to the hospital and Cole has received outstanding care from the moment the NICU team arrived in OC.

A few people have commented about it being scary, but oddly enough I have never really felt scared, more just emotional at times. There was a scare I learned after the fact, but I have to save that for another time. I feel The Lord has graciously walked us through this process and His Love and presence have been ever clear and felt through all the love, prayers, and support from all our friends and family.
Cole is doing better already. He has some type of infection they are treating with antibiotics and also has pneumonia and will need to be in the NICU for probably 7-10+ days. They are waiting for his breathing to stabilize a bit yet as it is still shallow and rapid, but already much better than when we got here. He's had a couple visitors and is very anxious for Momma to get here in a couple hours to be reunited.
Also, Cole is already competing with Max and the two have never even met yet. The competition: anything you can do, I can do better!!!Event #1: I'm bigger
Max wins the size award. Max was born 17 days early at 7lbs 13oz at 20 1/2 inches long and Cole was born 7lbs 12oz at 19 1/2 inches long.
Event #2: I have more hair
Cole wins this one with a rug of dark brown hair on his head. Max had much less and blond hair
Event #3: I caused Momma more pain in child birth
This one will be called a tie. I believe Max caused Momma more pain physically through the birthing process but Cole has caused more emotionally due to the unfortunate separation. Fortunately both have many years to make up for it with hugs, kisses, snuggles, and more and I know their Momma would never hold it against either of them. Dad would have, but not Mom.
Event #4: 1st flight
Until yesterday, I never would have thought Max would lose this one. He was on a commercial flight at about 4 weeks old to go to his cousin Savannah's birthday party. However, Cole wins this award with a seemingly unbeatable record of 5 hours and 11 minutes old.
Event #5: Most states traveled
This one will be called a tie at this point. Max took a road trip to Iowa at 9 days old so he had 2 states in 2 weeks. Cole is also headed towards that same 2 in 2 record. Future points may be awarded as Max did travel to 7 different states by the time he was 7 weeks old, so he may receive a bonus point in 7 weeks if Cole hasn't caught up.
Event #6: I'm #1
Winner Max. Poor Cole has no chance here. Running back to the Old Testament days, Max is the first born son. There is just no getting around it at this point. Maybe someday Cole will bribe Max with a cheeseburger for the birthright, but for now Max is #1.
Event #7: I cost more
Winner Cole. Max cant touch this one. I'm pretty sure Cole's plane ride alone will out do all of Max's medical expenses.
Event #8: I'm tougher
Max wins this one as he didn't need nurses waiting on him 24/7 like his little brother does. I know I know... a bit insensitive right. Well let these two fight it out in a few years to prove it then. But there will be no sensitivity in future competitions between these two. I guarantee it!
Total Score: TIE
Max: 3 wins 2 ties total 4 points
Cole: 3 wins 2 ties total 4 points
As I said, more future competitions to follow... I guarantee it!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment